Dmytro Levytsky (Dmitry Grigoryevich Levitsky) (Ukrainian: Дмитро Григорович Левицький; Russian: Дмитрий Григорьевич Левицкий; May 1735 – 17 April 1822) was a Russian-Ukrainian portrait painter.
Dmytro Levytsky was born in Kiev, in a family of clergyman and engraver Hryhoriy Levytsky. His father was his first art teacher. Later he became a pupil of Aleksey Antropov who came to Kiev to paint the Cathedral of St. Andrew.
In 1770, Levitzky became famous as a portrait painter after the exhibition of six of his portraits in the Imperial Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg. For the portrait of Alexander Kokorinov, Director and First Rector of the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg (1769) he was elected an academician and appointed the Professor of the portrait painting class at the Academy of Arts. He remained on this position until 1788.
In 1772–1776 Levitzky worked on a series of portraits of the pupils of the privileged women establishment Smolny Institute for Young Ladies in St. Petersburg commissioned by Catherine II. The girls are depicted performing dances, music, plays.
Though Levitzky had many commissions, they were, in most cases, poorly paid, and the painter died in poverty in 1822.
This is a part of the Wikipedia article used under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). The full text of the article is here →