Jean Le Moal (30 October 1909 - 16 March 2007) was a French painter of the new Paris school, designer of stained glass windows, and one of the founder members of the Salon de Mai.
Jean Le Moal enrolled at the "Ecole des Beaux-Arts de Lyon" in 1926, and the École nationale supérieure des arts décoratifs in Paris in 1929. He also attended the "Académie Ranson" (1935–1936).
In 1939 Le Moal worked on the 1400sq.meter ceiling of the French Pavilion at the International Exhibition in New York.
In 1941 he exhibited in "XX jeunes peintres de tradition française", with Bazaine, Manessier, Singier, Pignon, Gischia, and in 1943 in "Douze peintres d’aujourd’hui" at Galerie de France. In 1945 he was a founding member of the Salon de Mai.
In the post-war years Jean Le Moal became established as a prominent figure in European painting. He exhibited throughout Europe and was also awarded the "Prix de la Critique" in 1953.
Several retrospectives have been dedicated to Le Moal’s work, including at Musée de Lubeck and Musée de Wuppertal (1961), Musée de Metz and Musée de la Ville de Luxembourg (1963), Musées de Rennes, Chartres, Rouen, Dijon, Lille and Caen (1970–1971), "Espace lyonnais d'art contemporain" and Musées de Besançon, Esch-sur-Alzette, Dunkerque and Nantes (1990–1992).
The artist’s work is represented in many museums including
This is a part of the Wikipedia article used under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). The full text of the article is here →