Gogi Khutsishvili was born in Tbilisi on July 1, 1941.
He studied at the 53rd school in Tbilisi. In 1951-1958 Zakaria Kratsashvili trained him as a sculptor. In 1959-1967 he studied painting by Guram (Khita) Kutateladze and Antimoz (Aliko) Gorgadze. In 1963 he graduated from Tbilisi State University specializing in art history and theory. In 1966 he graduated from the Postgraduate School under the supervision of academician Shalva Amiranashvili. Since 1965 he has participated in exhibitions. Since 1971 he has been a member of the Union of Artists of Georgia. In 1973 he defended his dissertation on Medieval Georgian Wall Painting (Wall Painting of Sapara Monastery). From 1974-1975 he studied at the Sorbonne and Paris School of Fine Arts (under the supervision of by Bernard Dorival). He was a docent at Art History and Theory Department at Tbilisi State University. Since 1985 he was the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at TSU. Since 1990 he was a member of Georgian Designers' Union.
Gogi Khutsishvili died on April 16, 1993 in Tbilisi.
In addition to paintings, Gogi Khutsishvili's works include graphic works, sculptures, collages, poems and essays.
Gogi Khutsishvili's works, besides Tbilisi, are stored at Paris, Dresden, Berlin, Prague, Brno, Bratislava, Budapest, Christchurch (New Zealand), Dublin, Shennon (Ireland), Iain, Ottawa, St. Paulo, Curitiba, La Paz (Bolivia), Sofia, Tokyo, Tallinn, New York, Beijing, Moscow and St. Petersburg museums and private collections.
Gogi Khutsishvili's first personal exhibition was held in 1975 at the CIES Gallery in Paris. In 1980 a second personal exhibition was held at the Tbilisi Museum of Art. In 1986, the third personal exhibition was held in the Artist's House in Tbilisi. The fourth personal exhibition opened in 1987 in Rustavi Exhibition Hall. In 1989, the fifth personal exhibition was held at the Israeli Museum in Jerusalem. In 1993, after the artist's death, the sixth personal exhibition was held at the Kopala Gallery in Tbilisi. In 2016, the seventh personal exhibition opened at the David Baazov Museum of History of Jews of Georgia and Georgian-Jewish Relations.